Breaking

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

[Solved] Memory Problem (Long-Short-Long Beeping)

Yesterday, I was fixing an assembled Pentium IV desktop computer owned by an old woman that is not booting up every time you power it on it just produces long-short-long beeping sound. I am not sure yet about the real problem of the computer so I power it on again and again but still produces the same. Based on experience when a computer beeps like that it might not have a memory installed on it or, if have, maybe not attached to the peripheral properly.
When I open the system unit I saw a 1GB DDR Memory correctly installed on the motherboard. So what is really the problem? However, when I removed the memory and cleaned it using eraser suddenly I noticed a gap in between pins in the lower portion, second to the last to be exact. I suspect that was the problem then because as far as I know all types of memory either DDR, DDR2 or DDR3 has no gap at all like what I have found, and it proves me right that maybe it's not properly connected because obviously one of the metal pins was missing.

Therefore, I replaced it with a 128MB DDR memory, provided by the owner, quite slower that the previous one to try and test, and fortunately it works well. The computer started up successfully and the Windows boots up smoothly. Another job well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment